Nathan Morcom has achieved his 2nd consecutive Podium finish alongside Chaz Mostert at the Bathurst 6 Hour over the weekend.
- Nathan finished Practice in P7.
- Nathan worked his way up to P1 in his race stint.
- The Duo finished P2 in the Race.
BATHURST 6 HOUR RECAP
The team faced an electrical overheating problem in practice with the new Focus RS, but still managed a P5 finish in their first practice stint on the mountain.
After working through the problems, Morcom got speed back in second session and finished P7 amongst the traffic.
In the final practice session the team finished P7, but split an oil cooler and required one to be fetched from Sydney that day.
Mostert headed out to qualify first without a working oil cooler and no boost, but some issues saw him retire early in P16, meaning Morcom missed his chance to set a time.
Mostert had the first stint in the Focus RS, but within the first 30 minutes the safety car was sent out and remained out for 40 minutes.
With the CPS window open the Direct Plasterboard Outlet team pitted which put them at the back of the field.
Mostert then swapped with Morcom who undertook a double stint.
Morcom was stuck behind a D Class Car that drove slowly when the safety car came out mid-race and lost half a lap on the restart as a result.
The Focus RS was strong over the top of the mountain but was found to lack pace at the edge of the straight throughout the race.
Morcom’s stint saw him take the lead where he put the car in P1 with 3 out of 4 CPS completed.
Morcom then handed the Focus over to Mostert who did a double stint at the end and set a lap record, but was taken over after loosing 5 & 6th gear and the duo finished P2.
The Bathurst 6 Hour doubled as Round 1 of the Australian Production Cars Championship.
Morcom & Mostert will take part in the remaining 5 Round at Winton, Sydney, Ipswich, Phillip Island and Wakefield Park.
“REALLY HAPPY WITH THE RACE OVERALL, WE HAD THE LEAD BUT CHAZ LOST GEARS 5 & 6 AT THE END SO WE WERE JUST STOKED TO HOLD ON FOR 2ND BECAUSE WE DIDN’T HAVE THE TOP SPEED LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. REALLY HAPPY WITH THE WEEKEND OVERALL, THE FOCUS WAS REALLY GOOD TO DRIVE AND FAST. A BIG CREDIT TO THE DIRECT PLASTERBOARD OUTLET BOYS AND CREW FOR PUTTING IN THE HOURS FOR THE LAST 4-5 MONTHS BUILDING THE CAR AND TO GET A BRAND NEW CAR TO DEBUT ON THE PODIUM WAS GREAT. A HUGE THANKS TO SUPERCHEAP AUTO, WM WASTE MANAGEMENT, CASTROL, RONDO AND CAPRICE KITCHENS FOR THEIR SUPPORT OVER THE WEEKEND.”
Morcom will now turn his attention to Round 3 of the Super2 Series at the Phillip Island SuperSprint on April 21-23, with all Races to be televised LIVE on Fox Sports.
BATHURST 6 HOUR RESULTS
- 1 – Searle / Morris (BMW M135i) 113 Laps
- 2 – Morcom / Mostert (Ford Focus RS) + 9.6s
- 3 – Pollicina / Simpson (Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X RS) + 23.97
- 4 – Lynton / Leahey (BMW 1M) + 41.485
- 5 – Richmond / Reindler (Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X RS) + 43.759
AUSTRALIAN PRODUCTION CARS CALENDAR
- Round One – Mount Panorama, Bathurst – April 14-16 – Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst Six Hour
- Round Two – Winton Motor Raceway – June 9-11 – 2 x 300km races
- Round Three – Sydney Motorsport Park – July 7-9 – 4 x one hour races
- Round Four – Queensland Raceway – August 4-6 – 2 x 300km races, including Fight in the Night
- Round Five – Phillip Island – September 8-10 – The Island Four Hour
- Round Six – Wakefield Park – November 17-19 – 2 x 300km races